The Best Tuna Mornay recipe ever! I didn’t think a gluten and can be dairy free mornay would taste so good, it tastes better than the original white sauce Tuna Mornay, its one of my favourite dishes from now on. Pictures don’t do it much justice but the taste makes up for it.
I wanted to come up with a gluten friendly white sauce so I did, its made with coconut milk, mustard, stock, thickened with arrowroot flour and a twist of lemon to cut through the sweetness of the coconut milk. I was more than happy with the result, my husband and I have different opinions on this though as he thought it had too much lemon, where I thought it was just right. No problem though you just taste and adjust simple fix!
Tuna Mornay was a staple in our house when I was growing up probably because it was pretty economical to make and easy, some people served it with potatoe mash on top or mum use to put croutons with melted cheese. How do I make mine nearly dairy free you may be wondering without skimping on the taste…… I use grass fed butter and by the way I only use pole caught Tuna as I believe it will help the fishing industry be sustainable ( I had to write that while I thought of it) I’m all for sustainability in the food industry. Back on track then I cover it with Nutritional Yeast, if you dont know what that is its widely used by Vegans to give a cheesey flavour to dishes especially nut cheeses, its packed full of B Vitamins and it tastes good.
I will post this recipe in the dinner/Fish/Seafood Category and in my new Category Thermomix Recipes which I haven’t added until after I finish this. I love my thermomix which I have talked about in another post and cannot recommend them enough especially if you want to live an easier healthy life!
Thanks for reading, if you decide to try this best tuna mornay recipe I would love some feed back! 🙂
- 1 brown onion diced
- 25gm olive oil
- 25gm grass fed butter
- 70gm Arrowroot Flour
- 500ml coconut milk or cream
- ½ tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1tsp mustard
- 1 stock cube (Check for MSG on label)
- 185gm tuna (I use pole caught)
- 2 - 3 TBS lemon juice (start with less and adjust to taste)
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast or grass fed cheese
- 1 TBS parsley to garnish (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180c
- Dice onion
- melt butter and oil in a medium sized pot over a low heat
- Add flour and gradually add coconut milk and mix with a whisk until thickened.
- Add mustard, stock, lemon juice and salt, stir to combine turn off heat.
- Add tuna to sauce and stir through.
- Put in a casserole dish and sprinkle nutritional yeast on top or cheese
- Put in oven and cook for 20 mins or until browned on top
Double the amount of ingredients for more.