Make your own Chinese takeaway Chicken and Cashews. Its a quick and easy mid week meal that you can have done in 30 minutes or less plus no MSG or other not so good ingredients!
I do like chinese although its not the healthiest of things to eat unless you make your own. I also find that when you eat at the restaurant it is much better than having it as take away. Its not something I eat very often and avoid the meat dishes unless its seafood and the dishes laden with sugar such as sweet and sour etc.
What I like about this dish is that it only contains a few ingredients and its a one dish meal its quick and easy a win win for cook and dish washer upperers!!
I love the texture of the crunchy cashews that you put on top when you serve they taste really good, you could replace with almonds if you prefer.
You could also add some water chestnuts if you don’t want to eat nuts or cant, they will have a nice crunch as well.
This dish is gluten free and suits Paleo eaters, the veggies are crisp and covered in a glaze sauce thickened with Tapioca. Why use Tapioca?
- It comes from a plant
- A natural thickening agent
- Gluten free
- Its a 100% carbohydrate
You could use chicken breast instead of thigh meat but I prefer the thigh as that’s my personal preference and works better in a dish like this. If you use the breast you would cook it for a shorter amount of time otherwise it will go tough.
What is your favourite chinese dish, there are plenty of dishes that could be made healthier if you have any suggestions let me know in the comments below.
Here is the recipe for Chicken and Cashews below. Thanks for reading 🙂
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 500gm diced chicken fillet
- 1 TBS chicken stock
- 1 TBS tapioca flour
- 1TBS organic tamari sauce
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 cup cashew nuts (can use almonds)
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 celery sticks diced
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets.
- Place cashews on an oven tray in a single layer and cook at 200c for 15 to 20 mins until golden brown, try one and see if they are crunchy. Remove and put aside. Cook chicken while cashews are in the oven.
- Heat oil in frying pan over a low heat cook garlic until it changes colour (be careful not to burn otherwise it will taste bitter)
- Turn up stove to a medium to high heat add chicken and cook until it changes to white and no pink showing.
- Add carrot and celery and cook for 5 to 10 minutes depending how soft you like veggies (I prefer mine crunchy, retains nutrients as well)
- Mix stock, water, tapioca and tamari sauce together, stir until all the tapioca is dissolved. Add to frying pan and stir until sauce thickens.
- Add broccoli and stir through just until it turns bright green which only takes a few mintues.
- Serve with cashew nuts