A Healthy Toad in the Hole recipe this is really easy to make and you can have it ready from start to finish in 30 minutes, makes a good brunch. Just veggies and eggs plus a bit of extra flavour!
The skillet I used for this recipe brings back so many memories when my family and I traveled around Australia 8 years ago, it was one of the best times of my life I would highly recommend it for any family.
We used cast iron cook ware a bit on open fires we used it for:
- frying pancakes
- making damper
- toasting sandwiches
Unfortunately we didn’t eat very healthy then well saying that we always had cooked meals mostly made from scratch. We use to get our meat cryovaced (meat put in plastic and the air taken out of it). Having meat done like this would make it last for weeks unless you went on really corrugated roads and the packets rubbed together and broke the seal, but that didn’t happen very often.
One thing that we always used when we cooked was baking paper best invention ever. As you can see in the pictures I used it because it saves on washing up definatley a bonus I like to do things the easy way. We also used it on barbacues as we used the camp kitchens a lot at different places.
I would make this dish for sure when we travel again its really easy and only takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
Cooking over an open fire or just using the barbie or the gas stove in the camper had its challenges but it was really worth it because it took more effort to make a meal you enjoyed it more. Sitting around a camp fire really connects you back to the earth there’s something special about it.
I could write so much about our trip but there is not enough room here to talk more about it, well there is except this post would probably be 3000 words and I would be happy to write more but I think I will leave it for another day, not to all go into one post but more about the trip!
As you can see in the picture above I prefer my yolks not to be completely runny so I flipped mine over.
Feel free to pin any of these photos to Pinterest or Yummly .
Please find the recipe for a Healthy Toad in the Hole below and once again thank you for reading. 🙂
- ½ sweet potatoe grated or julienned
- 2 kale leaves sliced into small pieces
- 1 tsp turmeric (ground organic)
- 1 pinch of cumin (ground organic)
- 1 tsp thyme (dried organic)
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Line skillet or fryinpan with baking paper (so much easier to clean)
- Put a layer of sweet potatoe over bottom of pan
- Make two holes in sweet potatoes for eggs to sit
- Sprinkle herbs spices and salt over potato
- Place kale over sweet potato
- Put eggs into holes
- Drizzle olive oil over kale
- Put on medium heat and cook for approximately 20 minutes until eggs have set and kale has wilted
- Drizzle apple cider vinegar over kale