Sesame Crusted Pumpkin with Kale, an easy dish to prepare and full of flavour, not a pumpkin fan use sweet potato instead.
Apologies for the lack of posts over the last few weeks! In case you didn’t know I started studying for my Bachelor of Health Science in Naturopathy three weeks ago and I have now got into a study groove. I am only doing two units this semester then will be doing a mixture of online and going to Campus next year.
Coating for Sesame Crusted Pumpkin
There are two ways to crumb/coat your pumpkin, I took the easy option but probably not the most environmentally sound one is by putting your seeds and spices in a freezer bag.
Second option put the pumpkin coated in olive oil on a plate and sprinkle seeds and spices over pumpkin and coat.
The seeds I used were a gift from someone I met on Instagram through the I Quit Sugar community. I commented about the brand of spices that had been posted and I was asked if I would like to try some, so a week later I had three different mixes of herbs and spices that are delicious! Random acts of kindness are so sweet and very thoughtful. (You obviously don’t need to use this mix so here are some suggestions of combinations)
Here is the website if you are interested though.
- Ground coriander, cumin, mustard seeds (crushed)
- Turmeric, garlic powder, chilli
- Ground cardamon, fennel, turmeric
You could use any combination or just use whatever you have on hand, turmeric is always a good one, I’m a bit of a fan, I have a few recipes that I have used it for:
- Golden Turmeric Quinoa Nut Free Granola
- Sweet Potato Curry Soup (my absolute favourite)
- Indian Spiced Cauliflower Rice
Thanks for reading. If you make this Sesame Crusted Pumpkin with Kale I would love to hear your feed back by leaving a comment on the website or you can use the hash tag #theeasyhealthyway on Instagram, would love to see your pics. You can also Pin, save or print recipe.
- 4 cups cubed pumpkin (cut as evenly as possible for cooking)
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil and extra for drizzling
- 4 TBS Sesame seeds
- 1 TBS spice (see link in post if you want to get pre mixed pkt ) or
- Use a combination of a few of these spices and herbs or use whatever you have at home.
- Turmeric, garlic powder, chilli, ground coriander, ground cumin, crushed mustard seeds, ground cardamom, fennel.
- 4 large leaves of Kale torn into pieces
- Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200c or 392F and line an oven tray with baking paper
- Put pumpkin into a bowl and pour the two TBS of olive oil over pumpkin, stir to coat all of the pumpkin well.
- Either put seeds , spices and salt into a freezer bag and put pumpkin in bag and shake to coat pumpkin or lay pumpkin on a plate and scatter seed and spices (mix seeds + spices together first) over pumpkin turn to coat.
- Put pumpkin on oven tray in a single layer and cook for 35 minutes or until soft and golden brown.
- When pumpkin is cooked scatter kale over the top and drizzle some olive oil over it put back in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until it is bright green and warm.
- Place kale in the bottom of a serving bowl and place pumpkin on top. For extra flavour either sprinkle some Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice over the top.