Even if you are not a soup lover this Sweet potato curry soup will convert you, I promise! Its sweet, sour, spicy and creamy all at the same time and is really easy to make.
This recipe is from my mum who is a great cook but its not her recipe its one that sits in her folder of a 1000 recipes, do you have one of these? I do. I have adapted it to be healthier of course.
What is the deal with canned coconut milk and cream? There are plenty of brands that contain ingredients that are not that great for you
- guar gum
I have been using the Honest to Goodness brand for a while now and find it really good all it contains is organic coconut pulp and that’s it. They also have a good range of other organic products.
You can use leftover coconut milk for any of these recipes:
Or make double the batch and use the whole can (that’s what I did)
This Sweet potato curry soup is full of goodness, it contains sweet potatoes, curry powder a combination of spices that are really good for you such as:
- black pepper
plus you add nutmeg as well.
There is one really important step that you can not miss when you eat or drink this soup, you must squeeze fresh lime juice into it before eating, if you don’t it will not be the same. The chinese say to eat a balanced meal it must contain every flavour for the palate and this soup does exactly that. Close your eyes when you have a mouthful and really taste it, its an amazing soup!
Thanks for reading you can find the recipe below for the Sweet Potato Curry Soup. Leave a comment when you try this, I promise you will not be disappointed.
P.S. Serve with some good quality sour dough bread to mop up every last bit. 🙂
- 500gm sweet potatoes (around 2 medium size potatoes)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 1 cm piece of ginger (can use ground ginger, use a tsp)
- 50gm butter organic preferably
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 TBS stock (I use homemade paste can use chicken or veggie stock)
- Sea salt (I use pink Himalayan)
- Black ground pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup full fat organic coconut milk (BPA free can)
- Fresh lime
- Cut sweet potatoes into cubes
- Peel garlic and ginger chop into small pieces
- Dice onion
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, saute (cook on a lower heat) garlic, ginger and onion until soft (take care not to burn) only takes around a minute.
- Add curry powder and stir to combine, cook until fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, water, and stock bring to the boil once boiling turn heat down to a simmer and cook until tender (usually 20 mins)
- When potatoes are cooked use a stick mixer or put into a blender to puree, add nutmeg, black pepper and a good grinding of salt and coconut cream to soup heat until hot don’t boil.
- Serve with a good squeeze of lime juice (you won’t want to miss this step!)