This One Dish Mexican Quinoa recipe is an easy weekend meal, put all of the ingredients into one frying pan or Thermomix and wait 20 minutes!
My youngest daughter doesn’t eat much meat so I have to make sure she gets a complete form of protein from vegetarian meals.
COMPLETE VEGETARIAN PROTEINS
- Algae Spirulina & Chlorella good in smoothie recipes Avocado Spinach Smoothie
- Soy products such as beans, milk, tofu and tempeh
INCOMPLETE VEGETARIAN PROTEINS
If using incomplete protein foods such as whole grains/ nuts, seeds/ and legumes, you need to combine two foods from the three groups to make a complete protein.
P.S. To make this dish even more nutritious serve with oven cooked sweet potato chips instead of tortilla’s.
ONE DISH MEXICAN QUINOA
- 2 TBS Cold pressed olive oil (25gm)
- 1 Onion (white or red) diced (cut in half for thermomix)
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 cup Organic quinoa (200gm) * see notes
- 1 tin Organic black beans (400gm) rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Spinach or silver beet
- 1 cup grated Zucchini (leave skin on if organic) (150gm) sliced
- 1 cup Passata (250gm)
- 1 cup Vegetable stock (250gm)
- ½ cup Water (80gm)
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper (more if you like)
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Sea salt + Black cracked pepper
- Juice of 1 lime, add more before serving if you like
- ½ cup fresh Coriander
- Extra coriander
- Organic full-fat plain yoghurt or sour cream
- Coconut yoghurt if you prefer dairy free
- Tortilla strips or oven cooked sweet potato chips
- Add the rest of ingredients except lime juice and coriander, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer, cook for approximately 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and sauce has reduced. If dish dries out add more water.
- When cooked stir through coriander and lime juice. Serve with choice of toppings .
- Thermomix Instructions
- Put zucchini and spinach in bowl on speed 6 for 4 seconds, put aside.
- Put onion and garlic in bowl on speed 4 for 4 seconds, scrape down sides add oil and cook for 2 minutes @100c on speed stir.
- Add the rest of ingredients and cook on @Varoma for 20 minutes on reverse and speed soft.
- Add coriander and lime juice mix on speed 3 reverse for 5 seconds.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Quinoa is best soaked overnight otherwise rinse really well until all of the saponin (soapy stuff) has gone.