Looking for a different type of salad that you can eat warm or cold, try this Red Cabbage Salad with Mustard Seed Yogurt Dressing its crunchy, sweet and tangy and delicious!
This recipe was inspired by two different recipes one from
Both are beautiful blogs, the link to the recipes will be in the author section of recipe.
Did you know that eating cold starches such as sweet potato can help with constipation Sarah Wilson wrote an article all about it.
Did you know that when you eat certain veggies that they should be slightly cooked and served with a good fat such as olive oil which helps absorb vitamins A, K, D and E. If eating raw just massage the veggie such as the cabbage in this recipe with olive oil.
I have said this plenty of times before but Turmeric is one of my all time favourite spices apart from the amazing colour (and watch out it stains) it has plenty of health benefits especially for any inflammation in the body.
The combination of the yogurt, apple cider vinegar and mustard give this dressing a nice tang and its a good contrast to the sweetness of the potatoes .
The thing I like about this salad is that you can serve it with warm sweet potatoes or eat it the next day when it is cold and it still tastes good. I like the little bursts of coriander in with the cabbage and spinach, the sesame oil has a nice flavour to.
Thanks for reading and if you try it let me know by leaving a comment you can also pin or print or save recipe. Here is the recipe for Red Cabbage Salad with Mustard Seed Yogurt Dressing,
- ¼ red cabbage
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 TBS chopped coriander
- 1 ½ cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup organic full fat yogurt
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Cracked black pepper (organic preferably)
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 TBS sesame seeds (white or black)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 21/2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220c (446F)
- Line an oven tray with baking paper
- Put sweet potatoes on oven tray make sure they aren’t on top of each other
- Using 2 TBS of olive oil drizzle over potatoes, toss to coat or you can potatoes in a bowl with oil and coat (more dishes that way!)
- Cook potatoes for 35 minutes turning every 10 minutes so they don’t burn.
- While potatoes are cooking slice cabbage and put in a serving bowl put the remaining olive oil on the cabbage and massage slightly leave to sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine yogurt, turmeric, mustard, apple cider vinegar, black pepper and sea salt in a bowl, put in the fridge while potatoes are cooking.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking potatoes add sesame seeds to slightly toast them.
- Let potatoes cool for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach , coriander and potatoes to cabbage , add sesame oil and mix to combine .
- Serve with dressing drizzled over salad or you can combine dressing with salad but it will go quite soggy if any is left over.
You can use the remainder dressing on any salad will keep for a few days.